top of page

Marijuana Toxicity

During the warmer months there is always an influx of dogs that accidentally consume marijuana, mostly due to people dropping 'roaches' on the ground during walks. It has a strong smell and is easy for your dog to pick up on a walk or a hike so quickly you may not even notice right away.

Dogs do not get "high" off this like we do and it can be a very confusing and scary time for them (and you if you don't know what to do).

Signs of Marijuana toxicity include

  • Loss of coordination

  • Excessive drooling

  • Inability to control urine

  • Vomiting

  • Dilated pupils

  • Irregular heart rate

  • Lethargy

  • In severe cases, convulsing and seizures

What to do if your dog ate weed:

If you caught it quickly or within an hour of ingestion, you can make your dog vomit (see detailed post with steps here and administer activated charcoal (binds to the drug within the gastrointestinal tract to further reduce absorption) to absorb the toxin in their system. If your dog is not showing signs of toxicity yet, you can monitor closely at home. Offer your dog (as always) lots of fresh water and record viral signs regularly.

If they are showing signs of toxicity listed above, keep your dog as calm and possible and avoid over stimulation (loud noises, bright lights, anxious behaviour) and transport your dog to the vet. They will give your dog IV fluids in order to flush the toxin from their system and administer activated charcoal.

In severe cases, marijuana is a powerful sedative and can induce a life-threatening coma and should be taken seriously. If your dog is already showing symptoms, ate a large amount (got into weed brownies etc) or is a smaller breed, please take them for immediate Veterinary care.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with winding down with a puff but please don't share with your dog, keep them in the area while you smoke and be on the lookout during your walks!

44 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page